Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Diablo 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frost

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Diablo 3 Reply with quote

Damn. Don't remember the last time I created a topic on this forum, hah!

I don't see a Diablo 3 topic on here, so I thought I'd make one.

Anyone else get it, what do you think, what are you playing as?

I just finished beating the game on normal difficulty as a barbarian and am now beginning nightmare. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

There has been a lot of negativity on some sites about certain aspects of the game. My thoughts on these follow. (If anyone really gives a shit...Very Happy)

Art Style: Since it was first unveiled people have been bashing the "WoW-like" cartoony style. I had feared that the game would not have the originals dark, gothic feel, myself. While the game DOES have a stylized feel, it is plenty dark and very bloody. The art direction here is amazing. The monsters and environments, etc., really were shown some love. There were some seriously badass looking characters and the environments were gorgeous.

Graphics: The graphics are outdated. Period. I was disappointed at first, but that lessened due to the aforementioned kickass art, great animation and beautiful lighting and environment detail.

DRM: I had some moments few and far between that stuttered. It's really fucking dumb that they require you to be online. Besides the initial feeling of repulsion, I stopped giving a shit and just enjoyed the game.

If I had one real complaint, it would be that the game felt easy. Even given the measures they implemented to keep people from potion spamming and difficulty using Town Portals to escape danger, I died far fewer times than during Diablo 2. Without having much perspective, though, I do feel that my character is pretty well built, which might factor in (Lots of health regen and leech). That being said, I've put about ten-fifteen minutes in on Nightmare difficulty and it feels like it might be a more challenging experience already.

Anyway, while it doesn't reinvent gaming, it is a great game (by far the best dungeon crawl hack & slash game I've played since Diablo 2) with a good story, lots of rich lore, beautiful art direction, and even though they've had some pretty big bugs (anyone who's played 2 knows they are gonna patch the hell out of this game, though) the gameplay was downright addicting.

*panting*

p.s.- Barbarians "Earthquake" is gonna get nerfed. Mark my words, lol.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Ipsa

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played enough yet to make any real comments about the game, but I will say that I'm enjoying it immensely.

Also looking forward to the Baldur's Gate re-release...!
Frost

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I just found a HUGE flaw. *sadface*

All of your created characters share gold and stash. Ruins the experience of playing another character.

The only way out of this, I think, is to make the character hardcore (death is permanent).

This is a game breaker for me. I'm going to have to delete my first character to play my second, if I don't want to start with 50,000 gold and a stash already full of gems and items...
-- Zapp Brannigan
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the Diablo 3 beta during that open beta weekend. I wasn't impressed to be frank. Though I never played Diablo 1 or 2 before, I knew what the formula was. Explore, kill, loot, repeat. Borderlands pulled it off very well, but I don't think D3 did.

Exploring sucked because every environment I encountered was either a crypt, a crypt, a crypt, or a cathedral's crypt. Killing sucked because enemy variety I felt was lacking, and it was too damn easy to kill hordes of dudes. Looting sucked because it was loads and loads of crap that sold for 2-3 gold apiece.

When I say sucked I guess I mean more 'lacklustre'. It's not a terrible game, but it didn't feel nearly as good as I felt it should have been given the developer pedigree and time spent on the thing. I expected an exciting, visceral ARPG. I got a dumb grind with some touches of the cringe-worthy ("Legacy of Cain"? It didn't even make sense in context! Thanks for snapping my immersion in half, Blizzard.) Overall it felt like a F2P game that came with a $60 price tag.

I mean, the pieces are already there: the always-online (AO) requirement and the real-money auction house (RMAH). Had this been a F2P game, or at the very least one with a drastically lower price point, I could have dismissed my gripes with AO and RMAH as the necessary cost for the content. But no, it's $60 (plus the cost of the inevtiable expansion pack down the road), plus the burdens of always-online for a single player title. I find this simply unacceptable, especially when Diablo 3's competitors are offering superior products at lower price points. Overall I can't shake the feeling that Actiblizzard regards its customers now more as a resource to be harvested than actual people.

Oh, and despite my awesome connection I was getting stutters all over the damn place. I even came close to a full disconnect once. So yes, I'm not happy with the online requirement. And I'm not happy with Diablo 3.

Nyeeerrrrr. [img]grumpyface.jpg[/img]

I am happy however with how Torchlight 2 is turning out. I'm playing the beta now and man, it's awesome. Every issue I have with D3, TL2 doesn't have. I guess that's what happens when you have a game that was -actually- made by the guys who made Diablo 2.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Exploring sucked because every environment I encountered was either a crypt, a crypt, a crypt, or a cathedral's crypt. Killing sucked because enemy variety I felt was lacking, and it was too damn easy to kill hordes of dudes. Looting sucked because it was loads and loads of crap that sold for 2-3 gold apiece.

Act one's environments weren't great, but really pick up later. It has more enemy variety than most games, especially later in the game. Magic items sell for hundreds and drop all the time.

I'm not really arguing. Everyone has their own opinions, but I would suggest playing more than just the beta.

I do imagine they will add more/better loot varieties with future updates. I agree with some complainers about the loot system. Blues (regular magic items) should not be almost always better than rares. What's the point of having really rare items if they aren't going to be powerful?

I still highly recommend this game to anyone who liked Diablo 2 (but doesn't expect it to be Diablo 2.5).
-- Zapp Brannigan
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say I was a little dubious, but I'm really enjoying this now that I've had time to sit down and play it. I like the more streamlined game mechanics, and the freedom from agonising over every character point - wondering if the build you were making was going to be any good in Hell - which was such a feature of the second. Looks really pretty too.

That said, I recently played the 1.13d patch of Diablo II and it is AWESOME.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Blaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing wizard, and I'm on Act I of hell difficulty now.

Initially, the game seemed way easy to me. It made me think that it was designed for snot-nosed kids these days with no attention span or patience. I mean, you get health globes all the time in addition to having health potions and healing wells and whatnot. Also, it seemed cheap that you don't even have to buy identify or TP scrolls anymore.

When I got to nightmare, things actually started to get tough and I would die occasionally. Now that I'm on hell, I die when fighting rare monsters somewhat regularly. I'm kind of glad for the health globes now.

Embarassed

I kind of miss choosing permanent skills for my character; it served to give them individuality. Now you can switch your build at will. Meh.

I also wish that my follower didn't suck so much. I use the templar, because he's kind of a tank (sometimes, maybe, if enemies get stuck in a doorway or something). He does shit damage though, and it's not like he gets any cool new skills after level 20.

If anyone wants to play, send me a message. I will likely play less now that I am on hell and I start teaching next week.
Blaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one other thing: the boss fights get tedious after a while. Killing Diablo on nightmare must have taken at least 30 minutes. Luckily, I did it on the second try. If I stick to my game plan, I can't lose. But if I fuck up just once, I can kiss a shitload of time goodbye.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I pretty much agree with Blaster. I finished Nightmare with a Demon Hunter without any problems at all. Now that I'm in Hell, I just can't really be bothered. It's started to get tedious. Also, why does the follower's AI get confused when you're kiting from enemies? It makes him a rubbish tank.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Blaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enemies don't really ever attack any followers, so the templar can't tank.

I got to Belial on inferno before I couldn't go on anymore, but I'm playing co-op with my brother now, so it's kind of fun again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: