Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
The Voice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: The Voice Reply with quote

A new show here in the states set to premiere soon. Interesting concept. Got four "stars" Cee Low Green, Christina Aguleria, Blake Shelton, and Adam Levine (from Maroon 5). Basically, they just listen to the singer and pick singers (without looking at them) to form a team and somehow they will compete against each other. This show is receiving a lot of marketing, but what I find hilarious is that they always seem to have to say the Adam Levine is "from Maroon 5". All the other celebs, I guess we are supposed to know. I wonder what Adam Levine (from Maroon 5) thinks about this...
Sal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea who Blake Shelton is, either.
cfos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, I don't either, but the name sounds country. Likewise, I don't know Cee, but my guess is that all the others excluding Adam Levin, of Maroon 5, are independent or have named their band after themselves...?
Bloo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cee-Lo Green's a part of Gnarls Barkley ("DOES THAT MAKE ME CRAZY?") and recently put out some not too bad solo stuff (though it's kinda main stream). Other than Maroon 5 guy and Christina, I haven't heard of anyone else...
Munan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why is it not Cee-Lo Green (of Gnarls Barkly)?
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:

Exactly.

So far me and the Mrs. enjoy the show. Better than Idol. Thus far, this guy is our pick (from his audition):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsaCAxagRag

Although, we also like this chick (also audition):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e832IfnObKk&feature=related

although I thought the guy did better in the battle round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDoyypxsChc

Sadly this guy didn't make it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQIjDV4T4Uo

Thought this was the best battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2HIFvjVcM
Bloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
Munan wrote:
Exactly.

Well, recently I'd say he's enjoyed a lot more popularity than the other guy in Gnarls Barkly (the fact that I can't even remember his name right now attests to that, not to say the other guy isn't as good a musician), I guess they just assume anyone watching'll know who he is.

So, why not? Because Fuck You, that's why.

No, really.

I was actually pretty surprised you didn't know who he was because that song is, um, everywhere. At least in my experience. Though I hang around some people who love mainstream/radio stuff (even this), which in turn has me hanging around that stuff a lot more than I'd like to admit.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloo wrote:
cfos wrote:
Munan wrote:
Exactly.

Well, recently I'd say he's enjoyed a lot more popularity than the other guy in Gnarls Barkly (the fact that I can't even remember his name right now attests to that, not to say the other guy isn't as good a musician), I guess they just assume anyone watching'll know who he is.

So, why not? Because Fuck You, that's why.

No, really.

I was actually pretty surprised you didn't know who he was because that song is, um, everywhere. At least in my experience. Though I hang around some people who love mainstream/radio stuff (even this), which in turn has me hanging around that stuff a lot more than I'd like to admit.

A contestant sang it: Scroll down to Nakia week 2:

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/artists/nakia/video/

Honestly though, I don't really listen to "new" music. I mostly listen to Howard Stern and satellite radio (classic vinyl, coffee house, and a few other channels.
Bloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the videos would actually load, my connection's been shit for a long while now.

Anyway, not that it's a given to listen to any and all new music, it's just that this song's insanely big for some reason is all.
Munan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloo wrote:
I was actually pretty surprised you didn't know who he was because that song is, um, everywhere. At least in my experience.

Not everybody is living in Yankeestan. As far as I know that song hasn't done much here in Europe. At least, this is the first time I heard it.

Nice song, though. Doesn't come close to Gnarls Barkley, but good enough.

Also, I want a little background choir of hot chicks too. One that pops up to repeat important exclamations I make, like "ain't that some shit" or "amazing" or "oral exams start next week, Wednesday".

I'm sure my students will like it as much as the smoke machines and the recording of the Imperial March from Star Wars that announce my arrival in the classroom.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, go easy on Bloo -- he qualified his statement by saying "in my experience". Rolling Eyes

Picking on him for a comment like that would be like picking on you for talking about academics without earning your degree -- or have you finished your program yet?
Bloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
Not everybody is living in Yankeestan. As far as I know that song hasn't done much here in Europe. At least, this is the first time I heard it.

I was only surprised because I thought he does live somewhere here (where I thought it was pretty hard not to have heard it at least once in the past few months). I could be thinking of another member though.
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that remark was directed at cfos and not, as I thought, at me. Indeed, he lives in Yankeestan, which also explains his inability to see that the academic position of someone like me (senior member of the teaching staff, working on my PhD as an employed researcher) is different from the PhD students he is familiar with.
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
Ah, that remark was directed at cfos and not, as I thought, at me. Indeed, he lives in Yankeestan, which also explains his inability to see that the academic position of someone like me (senior member of the teaching staff, working on my PhD as an employed researcher) is different from the PhD students he is familiar with.

Ah. I see. Although, I do find it interesting that you quote Bloo and not me. Even my first post was qualified as I referred to the show as being one that was coming on in the states where most people in the states would be familiar with the artists involved.

Just so you know, since you obviously consider yourself "worldly", not all of America considers itself to be "Yankees". In fact, while people like you would not last long in the South, Yankees aren't really liked either. Many homes still fly the Southern Cross in the South and refer to our war as the War of Northern Aggression. But, I digress -- since you obviously know more about "Yankees" what with all the vacations you take to middle east countries which are undoubtedly informative.

You are right about one thing, though. The PhD students I'm familiar with graduate. Also, our colleges and universities typically employ people that already have PhDs and are credentialed, rather than students that may or may not finish.

Incidently, I currently live in a state that isn't a typical "Yankee" state. Most people believe all people here are polygamous as a result of a show on HBO.

Laughing
Rolling Eyes
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop rolling your eyes at me, young man!

One thing you got wrong in your fine and sharp critique of your fellow forum member, though. I wouldn't know "worldly" if it'd tap me on the shoulder and say "boo!"

Also: fine. Ameristan?
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
Stop rolling your eyes at me, young man!

One thing you got wrong in your fine and sharp critique of your fellow forum member, though. I wouldn't know "worldly" if it'd tap me on the shoulder and say "boo!"

Also: fine. Ameristan?

FYI, I'm older than you, sport.

Laughing

We don't much care for "-istans" or their "-eople". "America" is, perhaps, the best descriptor. In an effort to make you more "worldly" here is our anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjkifvPgkY

I'm not sure how I feel about this duet. I could listen to Stevie all day (though this isn't her best performance) and while I like this other guy, I dunno. Anyone have an opinion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: