Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Hurricane Season Solutions
    page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dahaka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Hurricane Season Solutions Reply with quote

What should Miami do about Hurricane Dennis?

1) Run like hell
2) Sacrifice Will Smith to Poseidon
3) Shoot anyone in the head who refers to it as Dennis the Menance, anthropomorphically classifying Hurricane Behavior.
4) Stay put and Die
5) NY rules, **** Florida and their lack of pizza, bagels, pizza bagels, & Yankees.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6) Make a CSI:Miami episode, that lasts 5 episodes and has a real good plot and also involves the team from Las Vegas... uhhuh... and me... in a good way... yeah...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking this a bit off-track, why the fuck do americans give names to hurricanes? You don't give names to tornadoes. You don't go "Tornado Timmy's coming, flee!", do you? No, you don't. What I think you should do, is put in an option 7, which would be, of course, capture and tie up everyone who thinks hurricanes should have names and put them(in groups of three, all tied up together) directly to the course of the hurricane and leave a few landmines here and there with them.
Sure, the air would be filled with unanswered screams of mercy, accompanied with mine shrapnel and severed limbs, but those screams, shrapnel and miscellanious body parts would be only for the good of the gene pool and a step closer to human evolution.
Mr Xeno

Location: In the Jungle, running from people from Discovery Channel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: hey hey Reply with quote

stupit america, think they own the world Mad

Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shahuh? Are you even aware what's going on in the thread?
Mr Xeno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: hey hey Reply with quote

yeah it show the americans have to get invold in evri war on the planet
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Remind me to tie you up with the other guys.
Mr Xeno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOVIET WILL RISE AGAIN Twisted Evil

capfett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the Americans who give names to hurricanes but the World Meteorological Organization.
And it's because there are way too many tornados to name them. And on the other hand, calling hurricanes by numbers, like 050620000102 or somethin would just not be efficient at all for people who's work are related to those. It's a lot easier to remember names, and there aren't too many hurricanes per year anyway.
I don't need to remember the names so I don't and I couldn't careless but I'm sure meteorological scientists appreciate the idea.
I don't think killing the people who like the idea of hurricanes having names, though your post was funny, would be for the good of the gene pool, nor a step closer to evolution. It would be the opposite.
Dahaka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so special about CSI?

Some scientists in New Zealand proved that watching TV makes you stupid, but i didn't bookmark the link yesterday.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahaka wrote:
What is so special about CSI?

It's cool. Plus, CSI: Miami already had an episode with a hurricane, so that was the first that I thought of...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wasn't it the yanks who started the tradition? I mean, the names are english. Fuck, I don't know.
And I still think the punishment is needed. People who give names like "Bob" and "Andrew" and "Dennis" to fucking hurricanes shouldn't be even let NEAR any meteorological equipment! Those guys need to be cut out of the gene pool for the sake of all humanity!
And if it's actually, for some, crazy, moronic reason, important for hurricanes to have names, why don't they just give them names that fit? Like Hurricane "Jesus-fuck-Christ, run!", or Hurricane "Get out of the fucking way, you dumb hick!"(GOFYDH)?

You're all insane!
desert_drum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
But wasn't it the yanks who started the tradition? I mean, the names are english.

My first thought was to wonder if any posters in England are now wondering what the fuck it is they speak. Laughing

By the way, storms of varieties not generally seen in the US (monsoons, cyclones) are also named; if it wasn't a convenient system in the places where they do happen, they wouldn't use it. They do. The reason is quite simple; it makes them easy to refer to. As someone else pointed out, a long string of numbers is meaningless, as would be some kind of code system involving the numerical order of the storm and the year, or whatever else a bureaucracy can come up with. Say "Hurricane Andrew" to someone in the southeast US, and there's no identification problem whatsoever.

They don't name tornadoes, incidentally, because there are roughly 10,000 of them a year in the US alone.
BaconNeggs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: yeah, what she said.

There are so many storms a year they just name them alphabetically beforehand. Besides alot of the retired names aren't american, like Klaus or Inez or Frederic.

and using your system they'd run out of names real fast.

Last edited by BaconNeggs on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurricane "Oh my god that thing is really big and we are going to die!!!"

Hurricane "Safety Trapdoors FUBARisms Ulogy" (STFU)

Hurricane "Houston... we have a problem..."

Pfft... I'm lame... somebody tie me to a chair and let Jorja Fox rescue me... (hey, we were talking about CSI right?)

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desert_drum wrote:
Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
But wasn't it the yanks who started the tradition? I mean, the names are english.

My first thought was to wonder if any posters in England are now wondering what the fuck it is they speak. Laughing

By the way, storms of varieties not generally seen in the US (monsoons, cyclones) are also named; if it wasn't a convenient system in the places where they do happen, they wouldn't use it. They do. The reason is quite simple; it makes them easy to refer to. As someone else pointed out, a long string of numbers is meaningless, as would be some kind of code system involving the numerical order of the storm and the year, or whatever else a bureaucracy can come up with. Say "Hurricane Andrew" to someone in the southeast US, and there's no identification problem whatsoever.

They don't name tornadoes, incidentally, because there are roughly 10,000 of them a year in the US alone.

I actually realize all this. I just like to poke fun at stuff.

But I actually do thing they should name the hurricanes more properly.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:

I actually realize all this. I just like to poke fun at stuff.

But I actually do thing they should name the hurricanes more properly.

And I like to get literal with anyone slinging the "Fuck Americans" crap around, whether they're serious or not. It gets beyond tiresome.

But I'll bite: How *should* they name them, keeping in mind that making it easy to tell what order they arrived in matters for recordkeeping, and making the names easy to recognize and remember can save lives.
Mr Xeno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you from USA Question
Dahaka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original idea wasn't on how they named them.
The side idea became 'why do they name them'.
Why don't they just call it, hurricane, like they call a tornado a tornado. I think longevity is the answer. Tornados don't last long. Hurricanes build up, increase in class and strength. Hurricanes are RPG characters. They get experience points with time and add moisture, etc. +20 water vapor bonus. So they need names under which to save file all the stuff they gathered when they hit Jamaica and gold coins and rum popped out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ummm now to add semifact.
"Tropical storms and hurricanes are given names to avoid confusion when more than one storm is being followed at the same time. A storm is named when it reaches tropical storm strength with winds of 39 mph. Forecasters began using names in 1950. In that year and in 1951, names were from the international phonetic alphabet in use at the time - Able, Baker, Charlie, etc. Female, English-language names were used beginning in 1953."-Insurance Website FAQ, hahaha, #1 dogpile hit
http://www.horacemann.com/html/home/hqanda.html
capfett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for your information, a country can ask a name to be changed if it's the same as someone who killed people (or I guess did something really bad) like "Hitler"
desert_drum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Xeno wrote:
are you from USA Question

Me? Yup. Not that it matters to the issue for me, honestly. This "your country sucks" crap (not just about the U.S.) has infected several threads, and joke or not, it gets old fast. It's like discovering Fox News has invaded the board.
JytaNona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahaka wrote:
Hurricanes are RPG characters. They get experience points with time and add moisture, etc. +20 water vapor bonus. So they need names under which to save file all the stuff they gathered when they hit Jamaica and gold coins and rum popped out.

LMAO. Having experienced my first hurricanes last season with Frances and Jean, I find this desciption very fitting. Just in this hurricane season alone, we are expecting 13 of them. They name them and track them in the news when they are still wwaaaayyy out east.

Hurricane season is a learning experience. You learn more Physics than you would ever like to know. You learn how to eat, shower and poop in the dark. You know what combination of made-up rules for Monopoly best fit your playing style and you learn not to be ashamed when you savagely beat all your little cousins at poker.

Every soul has a price. I bet I can afford yours.
agrajag25

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that normal names for hurricanes is kinda weird.
Why not something cool, like names with lots of "X"s and "Z"s? that would make me laugh, and get my attention on the news or in a newspaper. "caus if you hear dennis on the news i would think of people, not a stoem. but something like Hurricane Zerbonius would get my attention.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurricain Brunhilda... why don't they haev female names? From past experiance women are alot fearcer than men.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure they alternate masculine and feminine names.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: