Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Simon_Plays Modern Warfare 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Simon_Plays Modern Warfare 2 Reply with quote

So steam had a free weekend going and I was always curious about what the big deal with the Modern Warfare games was. I never played a Call of Duty game before that point and I never really got the appeal of the series. Maybe I'm just not a gun-wanking warmonger but whatever. Point is I never had any real dislike for the game or series in general, beyond my usual diatribes of hate and loathing toward xbox live. But this was PC, and anyway, free weekend, so why not? I downloaded the 11.3 GB monster Friday night, loaded it up Saturday noon. Thirty minutes later, I deleted it. I swear I've never yelled so passionately at a computer in my life. What a fucking. piece. of. shit.

So after setting up the options I joined a team deathmatch game. I heard of the game’s lack of dedicated servers or server listings, but I rolled with it. Borderlands turned out to be quite okay without dedicated servers. It at least ensured there was no abundance of empty servers I had to filter out. So teams made, map set, game on.

First thing I’m hit with is a class selection screen. Okay, these are normal nowadays, what are my options? Except the options gave zero information regarding what my weapons were, or any indication of strengths/weaknesses. Just a bunch of guns I don’t know and a silly name that means nothing. So I picked the one with the FAMAS and shotgun and dove in. In something like ten minutes I must have been fragged at least a dozen times. I didn't count. I didn't expect to need to count. I wish I did. "So what?" you may wonder. "You just started. You're bound to suck at first." True enough. First times with Unreal Tournament 2k4, TF2, etc. all kicked my ass. But the problem I feel was not my lack of skill, it's because I didn't see any one of my many attackers. Every time I was brought down I had no idea who attacked me or from where. The deathcams did nothing to help, except point out that "this is you, see? You died lol!". How am I supposed to shoot what I can’t even put my crosshairs on? So I lost the game. Badly. A dozen deaths without being able to do a single thing worthwhile. I was getting angry at this point, so what did I do?

Grabbed a beer and tried again, of course.

This would be the best part of my Modern Warfare 2 experience.

Round two, another deathmatch game, another map. Stuck with the same class, cause I saw no reason to choose any of the others. Beer helps, apparently, cause I was able to nab two kills. On people who apparently were also just trying the free weekend... My kd ratio still was abysmal. I was getting perforated left and right by people I couldn’t see. People who apparently could see me coming a mile off. Another ten minutes, another game lost. Then I tried to exit the game. First time I was desperate to leave so I just quit the process in task manager. This time, I decided to restrain myself. Except the game wouldn’t let me leave! I quit, it does nothing. Escape, goes to lobby. Quit again, nothing. I must have mashed escape a dozen times just to make it to main menu.

They pull me back in!

That was it. I blasted the fucker from my hard drive. I was blown away myself. Astounded. Dumbstruck. I felt as if I had just survived a trainwreck. I was still yelling “Bullshit!” at the screen. I could not believe how unplayable this game was. I’ve played frustrating games before, hell I’ve played bad games before. But never before had I gone to the bathroom to find I was pissing steam.

The game is, to put it simply, the grand mother of all clusterfucks. You’re thrown in without any guidance or direction. The maps are the most claustrophobic, cluttered, completely Escheresque mazes I’ve ever encountered. You’re given no information about how your weapons actually function (Wait, I took the burst-fire rifle? Fuck!) The crosshairs are barely fucking visible over the surroundings. The people are barely visible over the surroundings. Explosions and gun fire are going off everywhere and you have no idea where the fuck they’re coming from until the death-cam helpfully points out that, yeah, wanker sniped you from the airplane cockpit. You can’t even see into the cockpit from the outside! But the worst thing about this game though, was its simple attitude to balance: “fuck it.”

Apparently, having just started out, I had no choice of good equipment, tools, whatever. I wasn’t even allowed to play certain game modes until I advanced some arbitrary rank. I’d like to mention two of my many deaths. First game, motherfucker ganks me with some kind of remote missile, while nesting in some forgotten corner of the map. Without any sort of line of sight. Second game, different motherfucker was piloting a plane above my head, ripping me apart with a Gatling gun. How the fuck did they get those? Why can’t I get one? What the fuck is this shit they’re hitting me with?! You telling me that just because I’m a newb, I just don’t deserve access to the big guns? Wait, that’s it, isn’t it? I’m a FNG so I can’t have fun. Well that’s just fucking great, Infinity Ward, absolutely fucking great. Now I’m starting to see why this game is so popular with the console crowd. It’s a munchkin’s paradise. Play it until you have the grossly overpowered means to beat other players down, piss on their corpse, call them fags if they complain. How fucking glorious.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the Tabletop Role-playing Game.

I played this glorified demo for twenty minutes, and it pissed me off more than any other thing I’ve ever had on my PC. How does this shit get glowing reviews? How do consumers not recognize how unbelievable stupid this game is? Why is this cunt-fungus priced at 60 CAD?!

What I'm doing at this point.

Fuck it. Fuck this game, fuck Infinity Ward, and fuck all of you people. You bought the first one, you bought this one, you’ve been cramming down my throat how ‘great’ and ‘addictive’ Modern Warfare was. No it isn’t. It’s crap. It’s stupid. It’s anti-addictive. You twats can’t recognize quality entertainment at all. The only good thing I can say about Modern Warfare 2 and the like, is that at least it keeps you fuckers away from my TF2.

I need a drink...

Last edited by Simon_Says on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bloo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Maybe I'm just not a gun-wanking warmonger but whatever.

I think this may be it. No, really. Usually with great games there's some sort of genius trick to doing something and it's not just a wankfest of blowing the shit out of the other team. And Call of Duty is basically just a wankfest of blowing the shit out of the other team. Even the different match types' varying objectives hide the fact that they all just want you to blow each other up. And on a grand scale. That probably isn't for you.

By the way, I think now might be a bad time to mention that the only reason I haven't played TF2 in a long time is because I was playing MW2 instead.
Nron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Simon_Plays Modern Warfare 2 Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
The Truth

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
Bloo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you suck at this game, too.

I'm going to admit that it does get frustrating with ghost kills and grenades and all of that. But when it's fun, holy shit it's fun.
Syn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Simon_Plays Modern Warfare 2 Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Simon Says a WHOLE load of crap...

I agree with what you have said to a point, I don't mind COD, but then again, I don't play it that much, the thrill had been long gone for a while, then MW2 came along and it farted back into life for a month or 2 before it slowly died in the ass again. COD is a dying beast has been for a while. fuckin bring back AvP2 Laughing
Nron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloo wrote:

I'm going to admit that it does get frustrating with ghost kills and grenades and all of that. But when it's fun, holy shit it's fun.

oh no. I was quite decent. but after the weekend i scratched my head and was like

"Why the fuck did i do that?"

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree, having had much the same experience the couple of times I tried it - increasingly games like this are becoming so unfriendly to the newcomer it's like once they have a core of players they don't actually want anyone else to have a good time. At least when you're playing Starcraft on the Korean servers and getting Zerg rushed inside of a minute you can appreciate the artistry, but getting fragged by something you can't even see because some socially maladroit twerp in his mom's attic has spent all his time playing the game to earn the right to said gatling gun while you were out having a life is too frustrating to bother with.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Bloo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hate how it's basically been the same since maybe the second game. I'm all for keeping a working formula without change just for the sake of change (Zelda), but there have been six (seven this year I think) games in not even a decade that all play almost exactly alike.

The campaign is really all that keeps me playing, because they're actually pretty good.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloo wrote:
Simon_Says wrote:
Now I’m starting to see why this game is so popular with the console crowd. It’s a munchkin’s paradise. Play it until you have the grossly overpowered means to beat other players down, piss on their corpse, call them fags if they complain.
Not quite as severe, perhaps, but in the same style.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't always this bad on new players. You could always start Call of Duty 4 with the default classes and still be on somewhat equal grounds with experienced players (compared to its sequel) if you were decent enough.
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should adopt the Killzone 2 system I think. You gain better weapons and stuff as you get a higher rank, but you can only join games where the other ranks are either the same, 1 higher or 1 lower.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Syn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently quite a few of the higher up people from infinity ward are jumping ship... Can't really blame them. I say we need another legen-dary small time games developer, fuck all this corporate shit, give the old school gamers something that we can play and not just buy because its the next game from some chain who decided to rape pillage and plunder something that used to be a good game.
Aramor's #1 Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
They should adopt the Killzone 2 system I think. You gain better weapons and stuff as you get a higher rank, but you can only join games where the other ranks are either the same, 1 higher or 1 lower.

Agreed.

Also, I think it helped that instead of unlocking better weapons, Guerilla made you unlock different kinds of weapons.

Starting off with the best all-round weapon is probably a plus, too, as the new players don't get dominated, yet they don't get to have an advantage in specific conditions.
Aramor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I still use the ISA AR, even though I'm a General or something. I just suck with a sniper rifle and a shotgun. Also, I like being a Tactician so that's basically my only choice.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Aramor's #1 Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
To be honest, I still use the ISA AR, even though I'm a General or something. I just suck with a sniper rifle and a shotgun. Also, I like being a Tactician so that's basically my only choice.

Well, I know of a lot of people who only use the ISA AR, so you're not alone Razz

I like sniping, though.

No scoping in KZ2 is really easy, and a one hit kill at close range.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd like to note that recently I've been playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with friends.

Basically, it's actually a fun game. Unlike MW2. Yes I was getting owned constantly but at least I know that that as the result of their skill and experience, not cheap bullshit kill-streak awards.

I'm playing the PC version, just add sighman_says to your friends list if you feel like waxing some foos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I didn't think anyone who hated MW2 could actually like BC2.

BC1>MW2>BC2=CoD7>CoD4

I'm not even counting World at War 'cause the only reason people played it was Nazi Zombies.

The Modern Warfare series' campaigns are actually really good in my opinion, it's multiplayer that sucks (actually only MW2's, not CoD4's).
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Simon - yeah, that trailer you posted looked really cool. I might check it out, I haven't played any FPS in an age.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloo wrote:
Huh, I didn't think anyone who hated MW2 could actually like BC2.
They're actually very, very different.

Bloo wrote:
BC1>MW2>BC2=CoD7>CoD4
WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe you'd put it above any Call of Duty game ever. Sue me for not doing the same.

I know, Black-Ops still has the kill streaks. They're much less intrusive this time around, I think, and even more so in the fourth (except the attack heli, but you felt like you deserved it after getting it anyway). The random grenades are still a pain in the ass, though.

And the perks are fucking broken, but whatever. The only reason anyone still plays these games is for Zombies anyway.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put it above MW2. Having not played any of the others I should not and will not judge them. All I know is that BC2 > MW2, in my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: